Italcementi, operating in the cement sector, was founded in 1864 as Società Bergamasca per la fabbricazione del cemento e della calce idraulica (Bergamo Company for the production of cement and hydraulic lime).
In 1906 the company merged with the construction group owned by the Pesenti family. In 1925, it was introduced on the Italian stock exchange and in 1927 changed its name to Italcementi S.p.A. In 1946, Italcementi founded Italmobiliare to transfer to the new company all of its investments that were not to do with the building materials sector. In 1980, through a reverse merger, Italmobiliare became the Italcementi parent company. In 1992, Italcementi went international and rose to be a world leader in the construction materials sector through the acquisition of Ciments Français, the largest international acquisition carried out by an Italian group up to that point. In 2016 Italmobiliare sold Italcementi to HeidelbergCement, acquiring a minority interest in it.